« Home | On the plus side, it's only 19 days until Laura's ... » | I know I've said it before, but it's as true today... » | Back home, tired, going to bed, better update comi... » | I'm off to Atlanta for the weekend, barring any hu... » | I would just like to say that my new GameBoy is in... » | Hooray! According to the email I just got, my EB ... » | If EB doesn't ship my already processed order for ... » | So I'm grudgingly watching the Republican National... » | Me Wantee! If only I hadn't just spent my money o... » | Wowzers! What a time saver! »



Labor Day Weekend: A Synopsis
Friday: I was the 2nd to last one to leave the office, which I did at 4 pm. Went home, changed, and headed to the airport. I wanted to park in the economy parking lots because they were cheaper, but with the potentially approaching hurricane, I didn't want to have to deal with a lot of wind and rain when I got home, so I parked in the daily garage instead. My Gameboy kept me entertained while I sat in the airport and when I was allowed to use it on the plane. Coming up the last escalator at Hartsfield (sorry, Hartsfield-Jackson. It's just like me getting used to National being Reagan National Airport now, it's just not going to happen) I thought I was going to explode I was so excited. Emily met me at the airport with a bouquet of flowers (Twix bars with pictures of sunflowers taped on them - it was really cute) and I don't think I've ever been so happy to see anyone in my life. By the time we escaped the disaster area of Hartsfield's parking deck construction it was getting rather late so we stayed up for a little while talking and went to bed.
Saturday: We waited and waited for Emily's parents to call to meet us. But 10 turned into 11 before they showed up. Brian was in town for the opening game as well, and the plan was to go do some tailgating with him, but his grill wasn't working (that's what you get for using gas instead of tasty tasty charcoal) so we sort of scrapped that idea. We did meet up with him inside the stadium though and watched the game from our usual spot in the student section. The team looks good, but I don't really know how much of a test Samford was. Final score was 28-7, though I think it probably should have been 35-7, but Gailey doesn't like to run up the score when it's not necessary (except against Tulsa in the smurf-field bowl apparently). After the game we came home and vegged out for a little while. We watched the Clemson/Wake game hoping Wake would win, which they nearly did on several occasions, but in double overtime, at Clemson, the Tigers pulled it out instead. But Wake looks good again, and Clemson isn't living up to the hype (Surprise, surprise - there's a reason they weren't on my top 25. On a related side note, I'm currently tied for the lead in the Hive's college football pick 'em game.), so next week's GT@Clemson game ought to be really good. I'll miss it however since I'm going to opening night of the opera with Caryn. Then Emily and I got all dressed up to go celebrate our 1 year anniversary. On Brian's suggestion (from Valentine's Day) we went to Cafe Lily. It was soooo good, and really good sized portions as well. We each took home about half our meal and maybe a third of our monstrous tiramisu. We were supposed to go to a party that one of Emily's friends from Brussels was putting on, but we were both so stuffed we just came home and zoned out.
Sunday: Slept in until noon and then decided we wanted to go see the Atlanta Botanical Gardens featuring blown glass from Dale Chihuly. I'd never been, but was thoroughly impressed with the whole garden. And the glass was amazing. Some of the sculptures were just freestanding exhibits stuck in fountains, or globes floating in a pond full of lily pads, which were pretty cool all by themselves. But the really cool part was the pieces intermixed with other plants. And even though there were giant purple rods or crazy colored abstract flowers stuck in the middle of a field of green, half the time we missed them completely the first time we looked. I highly recommend checking this out, it's there until October I think. Afterwards we went back to the apartment. Emily started making Brunswick stew (mmmmmm) and her roommates started their BBQ outside. One full stomach later, we played Imagine Iff... which is a fun game, but I was at a distinct disadvantage, what with not knowing all of Emily's friends as well as they all know each other. But I didn't come in last, and we all had fun, and that's what really counts. After walking around all day in the sun at the ABG, we were exhausted, so one tickle-war later, we went to sleep.
Monday: Waking up next to Emily was great, but getting out of bed was really hard knowing it would be the last day for a while. It was really windy and overcast as the remnants of Frances worked their way north. But we went to the mall in search of new sunglasses for me and a watch for Emily. We succeeded on both counts, but the glasses I really liked were $45 (and made by Tommy Hilfiger - I know, I'm as surprised as you are) instead of the $20 pair I just liked. So of course I got the $20 pair. But any pair of sunglasses is better than my broken ones. Then we got all dressed up again because we forgot to take a picture the night we went out to dinner. After I packed up, we had the leftovers from our anniversary dinner before Emily took me back to the airport. It was much less crowded and everything was going great until the flight crew showed up late, so we left late, so I got home late. And the flight was really bumpy almost the whole way home. My mom had set my thermostat above 80 when she left, so my apartment was rather sweltering (you'd think I'd be used to it after spending the weekend with Emily and their broken air conditioner, but no). I took a shower, put on the CD Emily made me, and crawled into bed.
Tuesday: As I mentioned below, waking up this morning (even with Emily's CD still playing) was really hard. Rolling over to punch the alarm clock instead of rolling over to put my arm around Emily is really depressing. And getting out of bed alone, getting dressed, and getting in the car go to work just made me want to keep on driving (and tropical depression be damned) until I got to Atlanta. I made a mental note to ask some of the younger married guys at work if that crushing emptiness subsides after you've been married for a while, or if you always feel horribly depressed when the girl you love is no longer in your arms after hardly leaving them at all for a couple days straight. Especially since, as I think most of you know by now, Emily and I are planning to get married someday (no, we're not engaged, yet - keyword here is someday). =)

All in all, it was an awesome weekend, I just wish the day(s) afterwards was/were less lonely. But I have a brand new CD to keep me company and some great memories to roll around in my head and one of my favorite movies to watch and remind me of Emily. And Laura's wedding is coming up pretty soon though, and that will be a lot of fun, and I'll be pretty busy until then, so the days will pass quickly. And then only 19 days after that, Emily will be up here for her fall break. And with any luck, we'll see each around Thanksgiving, and then she's got a month off for winter break (I get the 24th and the 31st off, plus any of my 3 leave days I have left if I haven't used them up getting sick yet). And so by the time she starts school for Spring semester (which doesn't have nearly enough built-in vacation time), it's only a little over a month until Valentine's Day, and then another month until Emily's spring break. Then my birthday at the end of April is close to the week off between spring and summer. And then there's Memorial Day, July 4th, and before we know it, it'll be August 5th and Emily will be a college graduate with a great job lined up in the DC area and a great apartment to share with a great guy (well, okay, with me). ;) And when I look at it that way, either today or for the next 11 months, it really isn't so bad. And if we plan it right, I don't think we'll ever have to go much more than a month without seeing each other between now and her graduation. And that my friends is a very comforting thought.

About me

  • I'm Rev. Adam
  • From Oakton, Virginia, United States
My profile

Twitter Updates

eXTReMe Tracker