« Home | Brief update: Savannah is gorgeous, New Year's Ev... » | Countdown to hugs and kisses: less than 24 hours!... » | I really thought my sleep schedule was all fixed. ... » | Hanging out at Caryn's tonight was so much fun wit... » | Christmas has been pretty good this year. My dad ... » | Also, Katey had pomegranates. Mmmm.... » | And happy winter holiday of choice to everyone. T... » | So Santa definitely showed up before I got home fr... » | 4 hours naps on Christmas Eve rule. Now I can be ... » | My teeth still feel ridiculously clean even after ... »



Recap of the last few days:
Tuesday: The drive down to Savannah was pretty uneventful. I got out of the house right on time and it took almost exactly as long as I planned. Until I got onto the island and was 1/4 mile from Emily's. The road signs aren't at all well lit, so I missed the turn off the road a couple times, but it all worked out in the end. I was treated to a delicious salmon dinner with her family.
Wednesday: Emily and I went down to historic Savannah and did touristy stuff. All the roads down there are made from cobble stones which were the ballast on the original ships that docked there. And most of the buildings along the waterfront are completely original which was neat. Then we got some sugar from the Candy Kitchen and went to beautiful Forsyth park.
****WARNING***SAP ALERT***WARNING***
Laying in the grass field at the park with Emily was so relaxing and she just looks so pretty in the late afternoon sun.
************************************
All the young couples around with little kids and puppies made me want a dog again. All in all, I'd say the afternoon was idyllic. So then we headed back to the house to watch some college football and just hang out. The plan was to head out to dinner at Bella's, which is a fabulous italian restaurant, and if you're ever in Savannah, you should go there. So after getting a little dirty in the park, Emily wanted to change, so after playing cards for a little while she got ready for our New Year's Eve date.
****WARNING***SAP ALERT***WARNING***
I don't remember my exact words when she came into the living room, but it was something to the effect of "Wow, you look fantastic. Now I feel like a slob." And it's true. She did look fantastic. I was slightly better dressed than usual, but I almost felt bad for her to be seen with me because I felt like I'd detract from her radiance.
************************************
After a great dinner that neither of us could finish, we drove out to the beach to see the Christmas lights and then went downtown for the big party. The open cup policy in Savannah certainly lends itself to a lot of rude drunk people, especially when you're between the band and the beer tent. But we had a good time anyway watching the leather-clad 30-somethings prance around stage playing covers until all the baloons dropped at midnight.
****WARNING***SAP ALERT***WARNING***
Hooray for having someone as wonderful as Emily to kiss at midnight!! I'd never heard this before: "If we're together at midnight, we'll be together for the whole year." But it sounded pretty good to me. Certainly something to look forward to all year.
************************************
After the baloons dropped we shuffled our way down to the waterfront to watch the fireworks display over the river, which was great. Nothing like a few well chosen chemicals being shot a few hundred feet into the air to make a pitch black sky so romantic. Finally we made it home, toasted the new year with a split of champagne (okay okay, it was sparkling wine since it's not from France), and headed off to bed.
Thursday: We spent the better part of the day watching college football bowl games while dinner was roasting out on the grill. After a yummy dinner of pork, blackeyed peas, greens, rice, and rolls, we had cheesecake (double yummy) and decided to go see a movie. We decided on The Last Samurai because it has Tom Cruise to make Emily happy and sword fighting to make me happy. Sadly, it was sold out, so we saw Paycheck instead. With two strikes against it before even the previews started (Ben Affleck and John Woo), I have to say that I was pleasantly entertained. It's definitely a John Woo film, complete with two guys standing 6 inches from each other with guns in each other's faces, birds flying through doorways, and vehicles exploding for absolutely no reason. Also, where'd all the mist come from at the end? But it exceeded my expectations and I'd deem it worthy of your time to watch. We returned home in time to seem FSU lose to Miami as the result of a botched field goal attempt yet again. Which almost eradicated Georgia's win over Purdue in overtime earlier that day. After watching Sportscenter 3 times, another day in Savannah drew to a close.
Friday: After getting a late start and doing some creative, but poorly thought out car packing, we headed back to Atlanta only to get stuck in traffic south of town for a while which was pretty aggravating. I finally arrived at my homestead and was amazed to find no piles of mail or 5000 chinese food menus stuck in my door. I unpacked a few things, rearranged the living room, took a shower and then went back down to Tech to watch the second half of the K-State/OSU game which turned into The Fifth Element which turned into a much needed exchange of backrubs which turned into sleeping like a rock.
Saturday: The details of the morning are a little, um, fuzzy I suppose, but why an alarm clock has a 4 minute snooze button is beyond my realm of comprehension. We woke up "early" to watch what I'd assumed was going to be a horribly lopsided football game. Turns out I was right, but the imbalance was in our favor instead of Tulsa's. So after a thorough thrashing of the 2nd place WAC team (final score 52-10) to win the Humanitarian and secure ESPN's bowl game conference challenge thing for the ACC, we flipped over to the Tech@UGA basketball game. This game did not go quite as well as anticipated. For a #3 ranked team who was undefeated coming into the game today, Tech really didn't play like they deserved that honor. All the missed 3s really started to hurt us and Georgia's lack of fouls was keeping us from taking free throws for soem easy points. We lost in double overtime putting at end to our 12-0 run and any hope of an undefeated season. If we had to lose to an OOC opponent, why oh why did it have to be UGAg? *sigh* So now I'm back at my apartment again with my new roommate Waqar and my new plates from Target and my new vaccuum cleaner. Hey, you gotta find things to be excited about when you lose to your archrival. Waqar seems pretty cool, but I think he's going to keep to himself a lot. Also, he couldn't fit his nice 27" flatscreen tv into his car, so we're going to have to make due with the crappy 9" tv I liberated from Coke until I can scrounge up a 20" or something on git.ads. Oh well. It's only money, right?

Tomorrow I'm helping Emily move out of her apartment into the downstairs apartment where all her other friends live, which I think will be good for her because she'll be happier, but we'll have a lot less privacy when I'm over there. Meh. And then classes start again on Monday. It feels like I just finished the last semester. Break always goes by too quickly, and this is my 3rd semester in a row, which I've never done before, so I suspect my motivation to begin detereorating almost immediately. I'm going to have to work very hard to keep myself focused on school and on looking for a job this semester.
****WARNING***SAP ALERT***WARNING***
Fortunately, I have someone to help me keep my focus and bring a clarity to my life that had been missing for a long time. Thank you Emily. I love you.
************************************

About me

  • I'm Rev. Adam
  • From Oakton, Virginia, United States
My profile

Twitter Updates

eXTReMe Tracker