« Home | Why do I feel like today is Friday already? Not f... » | I'm temporarily gving up on my binary armband tatt... » | Only one more week until Emily comes to visit! =) » | Now that the Hive's College Football Pick'em on Ya... » | The bad weather last night was a blessing in disgu... » | Oooo! Ghostbusters is on! » | In other sleep/awake news, my mom is back in the s... » | Best cure for sleepiness: Darkest Hour - The Mark... » | It's been sort of a bummer of a day. My back hurt... » | If this rain and wind doesn't stop before bedtime,... »



I'm blaming my inevitable lethargy today on this. Damn you Stephen King for writing a book I can't put down. As I mentioned before, I want to find out what happens, but I don't want it to end. Especially since I've bene formulating my own way about how I think it should end, and tonight, in less than 100 pages 2 of my favorite characters died, destroying any hope for the ending I wanted. I still have a 1/3 of the book to go, but Pere Callahan died in the opening chapter, and Eddie, then Jake died last night, and Sheemie will be dead very shortly I'm sure. They saved the Beam, the saved the writer, and they seem to have saved the rose. All that's left is the Tower itself. But to reach it still, I presume both Susannah and Oy still have to die. =( Last night the book grabbed my attention something fierce and I couldn't put it down until nearly 3 AM. You'd think I was still in college or something. But I was here at work at 9:05 anyway.
As a result of all this course, I had some crazy dreams last night. I think I was Jake. Except I was on a spaceship, like in Star Wars, and we were trying to disable the ship. There were all these robots just like the Wolves that we had to keep fighting off. And then all the lights went out and we had to continue our mission in pitch black, never sure if our enemies might be sneaking up on us. When my alarm clock interputed my dream, I hit snooze and tried to return to it, but it was too late.
The way I'm going now, it's quite likely I'll be done with the story by the end of the weekend. Yes, I still have about 300 pages to go, but at the rate the story is progressing, I won't be able to put it down again until it's done or my heart is too heavy with grief for my fallen fictional heroes.
The great thing about books is how everyone pictures it differently. Although I think the Dark Tower series could be made into an amazing set of movies like Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies, I'd almost rather not see that happen. Stephen King's writings rarely become good movies, but of course, there are the amazing exceptions. A large enough sampling of his work has been filmed - Carrie, It, The Stand, Thinner, The Tommyknockers, Apt Pupil, Shawshank Redemption, Pet Cemetary, Hearts in Atlantis, Secret Window, Firestarter, The Green Mile, The Shining (just off the top of my head), some better than others of course. Yes, I would love to see a first-rate cinematic depiction of my favorite story of all time, but I fear for what might happen to it in the translation. A single mis-cast character or left-out scene could ruin the entire thing. And remembering how much Tolkien's novels were compressed to make the movies, I'm afraid of what would happen to a series of 7 books instead of just 3 (albeit longer ones, on average). Every detail is critical to the story (at least I think so and King's editor clearly agreed). So for now I guess I'll keep my books and my imagination and my late-night dreams. Next on the list: C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia. All the most entralling literary series come in sevens. ;)

About me

  • I'm Rev. Adam
  • From Oakton, Virginia, United States
My profile

Twitter Updates

eXTReMe Tracker