« Home | On the plus side, my basement room stays quite dar... » | The problem with insomnia is laying in bed once I'... » | I've had a busy day knocking out things on my to-d... » | Whoo! Now to swing by Home Depot for a piece of p... » | Since I've finished Broken Summers, I wanted to ci... » | One of my favorite movies is on TBS right now. As... » | Things to do this week in Atlanta: Get a frame fo... » | Accomplishments of the past week in Fairfax: Gett... » | Transportation woes: Dulles is sooo messed up now... » | In other author news, I swung by Borders today (wh... »



From my nightly job discussion with my uncle:

TOM: You know, looking for a job is a lot like dating. You gotta just put yourself out there and keep meeting people. Sooner or later someone will introduce you to someone else who knows someone else and sparks will fly and everything will work out great.
ADAM: Yeah, I guess so. But it's also like dating in that you have to put up with a lot of rejection. The first rejection hurts the most, but eventually you just get used to it.

It is a bad thing to be able to get used to rejection? At a certain point, you get rejected so much that either it doesn't hurt anymore or you just give up completely because one more rejection will destroy you. In my own case, I didn't date for most of my college years because I wasn't prepared to deal with the pain I endured through most of high school. Yes, it was lonely and depressing, but the constant stream of "I just want to be friends" or "I don't like you in that way" wasn't any less depressing. In the same vein, the constant stream of "we'll keep your resume on file" or "we have nothing available for you at this time" is getting a little old.
Anyway, I didn't want to turn this into a long-winded rant, but I can tell I'm on the brink of one, so I'll shut up. I just thought my uncle made an interesting analogy between job hunting and dating that turned out to be more truthful than he intended. Of course, I found Emily, so dating turned out okay, eventually. So if that can work, I can find a job. It's just a matter of time and steeling myself for rejection upon rejection before something turns up.

About me

  • I'm Rev. Adam
  • From Oakton, Virginia, United States
My profile

Twitter Updates

eXTReMe Tracker