« Home | ********More football commentator rant********I'm ... » | It's time for an SAT prep question! Basketball Co... » | Like most things Hollywood, even the funny things ... » | "I sure as hell am not staying at work until 6:30 ... » | Nothing makes me happier than still being at work ... » | Wow, when did it become almost 5:00? Today has ju... » | In other news, work is finally slowing down a bit.... » | I'm reasonably certain that the AP poll voters are... » | It's eerie how much the band formation looks like ... » | I was looking forward to the Boise State @ UGA gam... »



All that being said however, I've been thinking about how a new ranking system could be implemented. I'm not saying it's better than teh current system, or shoudl be used to determine any kind of offical champion. Just an experiment I'm thinking about trying this season. This season will be kind of a guinea pig, and it it sort of works out, I might start trying to get my rankings published somewhere besides my own website. Here's what I'm thinking:
Preseason rankings will be based on the final rankings from the previous season with adjustments made to account for natural player turnover. Take the final AP and ESPN poll rankings. Every team gets 5 points per vote in each poll. Teams receiving no votes get no points. Then for every starter that isn't returning, subtract one point. If a player from your team wins the Heisman and comes back, add 5 points, if they leave, subtract 5 points. If there is a head coach change, subtract 10 points. Adjust every team's score by the same number of points so that the last place team has zero total. This order is the preseason ranking of all Div I-A teams. In future seasons, preseason rankings will use previous year's Bever Rankings instead of the AP and ESPN, but for this year, I gotta start somewhere...
Weekly rankings will adjust the previous week's rankings using the following criteria (select all that apply):
If you lose...
...to a team ranked 20 or more places higher than you, lose 1 point
...to a team ranked 10-19 places higher than you, lose 2 points
...by a margin of 7 or less to a team ranked 10 or more places higher than you, gain 1 point
...to a team ranked between 9 places above and 9 places below you, lose 3 points
...to a team ranked 10-19 places below you, lose 4 points
...to a team ranked 20 or more places below you, lose 5 points
If you win...
...gain 5 points
...over a team ranked 10 or more places higher than you, gain 5 points
...by a margin of 7 or less over a team ranked 10 or more places lower than you, lose 2 points
If the total points...
...are less than 20, both teams lose 5 points (poor offense)
...are more than 60, both teams lose 5 points (poor defense)
Final rankings are adjusted for the following acheivements:
Most number of points scored over the season - gain 5 points
Most number of points scored in a single game - gain 1 point
Highest margin of victory in a game - gain 1 point
Fewest points allowed over the season - gain 5 points
Most yards gained over the season - gain 5 points
Fewest yards allowed over the season - gain 5 points

I'm sure I'm missing something important in there. And I haven't done the math yet to see if any of that is even close to working out. It rewards teams who did well the previous year, but adjusts for the fact that the best teams often lose the most players to the pros, and any time a coach leaves, it's turbluent. The idea of the win/loss points is to reward teams more for beating teams better than them and not reward them as much for beating up on weakling teams. It also rewards teams who didn't win, but played a close game against a much better opponent. If I get bored in the next week or so, I might try to put together some preliminary numbers and see what happens. I mean, if even simulated monkeys can rank college football as well as or better than the BCS committe can, there's no reason I can't make up my own numer system that works just as well (or poorly).

About me

  • I'm Rev. Adam
  • From Oakton, Virginia, United States
My profile

Twitter Updates

eXTReMe Tracker