« Home | I came across something amusing in an old notebook... » | It's been a long time coming, but while Emily was ... » | At long last, here are a few pictures from our tri... » | Mmmm, trail mix. =) » | I stopped taking my allergy medication a couple da... » | Living where I went to high school is strange some... » | We returned from Maine safe and sound. We had an ... » | Maine ho! » | Look like it's going to be a busy busy Fall! We'v... » | Emily's been sick teh last several days and I've b... »



Note to self: using dd to copy a dying disk is a good plan. Using dd to copy a dying 36GB disk 1 byte at a time is a bad plan. It took about an hour yesterday to dd the disk at the default rate of 512 bytes per read/write. But because the source disk is damaged, it's got some bad sectors, so the new disk was missing some boot sector information, leading to a kernel panic on startup. I decided to dupe it again with a lower read/write block size to hopefully avoid this problem. Unfortunately, I didn't do the math first to realize that copying 37580800000 bytes, one by one, was just going to take a damn long time, even with 15000 RPM Ultra2 Wide SCSI disks. Oh well.

About me

  • I'm Rev. Adam
  • From Oakton, Virginia, United States
My profile

Twitter Updates

eXTReMe Tracker