« Home | I cannot believe I just spent 5 minutes trying to ... » | It's good when you can't turn your head or lean ov... » | This is my house in 5 years. You only think I'm k... » | I would kill for some chocolate right now... The ... » | I am sooo cold. I keep forgetting about bringing ... » | I helped my cousin Sarah move today into an amazin... » | The problem with not getting out of bed until 4 pm... » | I love how "when I leave work in a little while" a... » | Google Earth is super hot. I could easily spend h... » | Congratulations to Emily, who finished the last cl... »



It's been a long day already even though I've only got 7.5 hours on the books so far. I didn't sleep much over the weekend because of the 9 am graduation thing and the moving out by noon on Sunday thing. So I really could have used another day off, (despite having taken all day Friday off), but oh well. This week is shaping up to be super hectic since we have a ton of stuff to get done before everyone starts disappearing for vacation.
The invention of the modern airliner and the jet engine has radically altered the world for the better. I think you'd be hard pressed to argue con on that one. Obviously, globalization has its negatives aspects, but I think the positives far outweigh them. However, as much as US airline deregulation sounded like a good idea at the time, methinks it might have not been such a sound decision. Most airlines are operating under Chapter 11. I haven't had an on-time flight in forever. Seats are made for people half my size. With rising oil prices, airlines are cutting costs elsewhere, and making their customers suffer. And they can get away with it because, let's face it, there's no faster way to travel a distance of 400+ miles than by jet. I say 400+ because including inevitable delays, security lines, check-in times, taxiing, hiking across an airport, etc, you can drive from point A to point B 400 miles away via interstate highway in less time than an airplane can get you there. Unless of course 400 miles happens to include a large body of water, or a major city at rush hour.
Both my flights were delayed this weekend because of "air traffic control delays." What does this really mean? It means the airport schedules too many flights in and out simultaneously and assumes some won't show up (similar to intentional overbooking of seats). Then all it takes is a controller taking 5 extra minutes for his smoke break and suddenly 5000 people get affected by delays. I like having an choice of times to fly between major cities, but I like it more when my flights leaves and arrives when they said it would. How about scheduling bigger planes and fewer flights? You accomodate the same total number of people. Also, while we're at it, can we make the seats so my knees aren't bruised for 3 days afterwards? 7 days if the guy in front puts his seat back. Also, my calves are sore from the contortions I have to go through to keep my legs from going completely numb while onboard. Or, better yet, build more airports. People don't have to drive as far to get to them, more people will fly because it goes more places, each airports runways become less crowded. Everyone wins. Then again, what the hell do I know? Other than that flying has become way less convenient and way more painful than it used to be.
Okay, new topic, graduation. It was fun to be back on campus and it was interesting to see commencement from a different perspective. I even got to stand up and be recognized as an alumni at the ceremony! Shirley Franklin gave a forgettable speech. Clough had a few good remarks. That's about it. Mostly I listened to my iPod (which I've managed to keep mostly quiet about for 2 weeks to avoid raising Emily's suspiscions about what I got her for graduation/christmas - she was totally fooled and very excited - go me!) and played gameboy. The new CoC looks pretty sweet. I'm gonna miss Tech, but hopefully we'll be back for a football game or two this fall.

I had some other stuff to post too, but I got so busy griping about airlines that I forgot what it was, and now I gotta run home and pick up something at the office before they close at 6. If I remember, I'll post about it later.

About me

  • I'm Rev. Adam
  • From Oakton, Virginia, United States
My profile

Twitter Updates

eXTReMe Tracker